Monday, June 15, 2009

Pancreas Kidney Transplant

You'll notice that there is a huge gap in time between my dialysis "posts" and this new post.

On Feb 26, 2009 I was transplanted with a cadaver kidney and pancreas.  My diabetes ceased immediately and urine was produced.

This entry will only attempt to summarize the 3 months of recovery that followed. I must say here that I am doing great, strong as an ox and physically working out at 80% of what I was doing before kidney failure!  

In the 3 past months, I was hospitalized 3 additional times; a biopsy revealed that my body was rejecting the pancreas;  I was then IV-treated with some extra beefy meds for 10 days which have reversed the rejection.  I suffered from extremely high fevers (103 degrees average) throughout entire nights with rigors. I had over 200 tests to determine the cause of the fevers (over 200 tubes of blood).  This went on for 3.5 weeks before the biopsy revealed that my body was rejecting the pancreas.  Kidney continued amazing output of urine and all body wastes.  I was told that my organs were "large" and "young" - a very good thing in transplant.  

In the meantime, I got to know every nurse on my floor, had wonderful friends & family stay with me every single night that i was hospitalized (over 30 days), had over a dozen CT scans, a 1 am ultrasound, 2 biopsies and all manner of fluid drains, IVs, stomach tubes, catheters & catheter removals & insertions.   Whew.  Now I know it was worth it.

I hope to post more for anyone about to go through a transplant.  My experience was fantastic...I feel that I am still healing and in the middle of a great transformation.  I will post more later

No comments: