Sunday, November 9, 2008

Learning Dialysis on a day to day basis

Spoiler alert: if you don't want to hear about the bathroom stuff....skip this entry.

John has gone to get me an enema. This is going to be fun.

For the past 2 days, it has taken 2 hours each time that I exchange fluids. Exchanging fluids, draining my belly and refilling it, are the essential procedures of the Peretenal Dialysis. It should take 20 minutes. Everyone seems to think it is the lack of bathroom time - so I'm going for the drastic action as suggested by my very nice nurse. Really, this is nothing, some of my friends do this for fun.

So I'm doing the exchanges four times a day now (starting yesterday) and the time it is taking is testing teaching and showing me patience. I don't know why I said that because if I'm getting tested - I am failing right now.

Ok, I am going to need visitors during these exchanges, I think.

Kim took me on my first walk yesterday with a belly full. I really am unable to put into words how beautiful it was. Kim, the best Safari tracker ever, saw a buck by the water. The sparkling off the water almost hurt my eyes. He was a hunk. I've never seen a buck inside Radnor. And I've got new appreciation for the girl friends that have been pregnant. I'd say my waddle represents about a 4 month pregancy gait. I'm working on the grace that I've seen Tania and others have. I got better-less waddly- halfway around the lake; the pain subsided. But I looked like a duck.

Today I have been hooked up to the pole and drain bags since 7:30am. It is 10:48. I'm a little shocked by the time. I fell asleep for awhile, John went to get me a paper. The drug store run as well. He's the solvenator, he says.

An old friend walked in during a low point yesterday. I was just at the very bottom of a crashing blood sugar and I was particularly uncharming at the moment she walked in. A little private pity party with tears and all - you should of seen her glide in and comfort me. "God draws straight lines sometimes with a crooked stick, " she said. But the thing that stuck with me is what her husband taught her: TRUST ACTIVATES GOD.

It is so true. My very belief in John has helped me be open to his crazy ways. Same with someone working for me or in a friend. A fabo saying, I need to learn embroidery while I'm stuck here on the couch!

Come see me.

No comments: