Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Studies and research

Tuesday morning: I am sitting on the couch doing the big switcheroo. Draining the bag and filling the bag. I'm getting the time down to 1 hour for each exchange and am work done while sitting here. I'm returning calls and emails, setting my schedule for the rest of the day. I do want to make this time useful.



I've done more research on the Peritoneal Dialysis, and reading these papers often leaves me more confused than before. For instance, I was trying to find out how much glucose is going into my body and is absorbed, so I can get my insulin dosage correct. This is the third article I read: (skip to the highlighted parts):





Background: Diabetic patients often have reduced insulin requirements when they progress to renal failure. Since peritoneal dialysis (PD) solution contains glucose, the insulin requirement of these patients often increases after commenced on PD. However, the change in insulin requirement has not been studied systematically.


Methods. We study 60 consecutive patients (32 male) with diabetic nephropathy newly started on PD. Their insulin requirement before and 6 months after initiation of dialysis is compared. Clinical factors affecting insulin requirement are explored.
Results. All patients received a standard 6 l/day dialysis exchange. ... The average dosages of insulin 6 months before and after PD were 0.27 ± 0.28 and 0.37 ± 0.29 unit/kg/day, respectively (paired t-test, P < r =" –0.307," p =" 0.017)" r =" 0.284," p =" 0.028)," r =" 0.433," p =" 0.001),">the dosage of insulin increased by 1.5 ± 11.1 unit/day. Each extra 2.5% 2 l exchange results in a 7.5 unit/day (95%CI 3.2–11.8, P = 0.001) increase in insulin requirement.
Conclusion. Diabetic patients have a minimal increase in insulin requirement after initiation of PD per se, but the dosage of insulin increased markedly after exposure to hypertonic glucose solution. Our result provides a basis for the dosage adjustment of insulin in diabetic patients newly commenced on PD.




Did anyone get that? Is there a math babe out there that can help me with that calculation?



The difference between 1 unit and 11.1 units/day is enormous for me. One extra unit can give me severe hypoglocemia. So does a scientific study of this nature really help? Hmmmm



I found another article that demonstrates weight game from 10% to 30%. That is quite a range.

No comments: