Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Dialysis: More Education Today

Just got back from a Davita education - it was so much better than the last co that we went to. Felipe went with mom dad and me. John is out of town, but this was such a good meeting. I got a bit sad that he wasn't there, because he sees things very simply and w/out emotion.

Mom, Dad & Felipe were great: every question that they asked was something I would've never thought of. I was floored by the passion of the nurse Toni. She kept saying how much she loved education; how much she loved her job. Her supporting staff were great too; they handed props around and brought in other patients just flat off the floor for me to quiz.

UNFORTUNATELY, noone pushed me toward one kind of dialysis over another. I'm a little more confused about which type to go with: PD or home hemo. Big differences and big pros and cons for each. I"m leaning toward the PD, since I can direct my own schedule. It is crazy that such a small thing can throw me over, cause i can control the schedule somewhat on home hemo...I just have to have a "care partner" here with me during the 2 hours..... PD is NINE hours though....boy.

PD has 4 in or 8in catheter coming out of belly; Home hemo has big lumpy button accesses in the arm. PD has big gallon bags of glucose and dialysate to pump into stomach everyday, thus screwing up the blood sugar and forced weight gain. (everyone says, think 5 months pregnant) I don't want to be vain about this, but my mom is right to help me think about the restrictive feelings during exercise with a really big stomach.

Hemo deals with blood; apparently there are lots of blood supplies to throw away, bloody messes occasionally etc. Home hemo machine is 70 lbs, plus has a big machine under it about the size of a wine fridge.

Both can travel, but not that easily....

PD: everyday, 9 hrs per day (while sleeping, ideally). good for work life.
Home hemo: 2 hrs -3 hrs, 6 days /week (but a trained person has to be there)

PD: training is 5 days
Home hemo: required minimum 15 days. my nephrologist says that you practically have to become a dailysis nurse to operate.

someone help me decide!

No comments: