Saturday, September 20, 2008

Humbling Friendships

What an amazing group of people in my life.

Snickers, the beloved dog next door, is so readily shared with me by my favorite family the Trotmans. This is seriously the best way to own a dog...let it love next door.

Other friends today:

Lorrie took me walking today; afterwards we saw the bench she had made and placed for her father.

He passed away almost 1 year ago. The inscription says:

"He has achieved success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who has gained the respect of intelligent men and the love of little children; who has filled his niche and accomplished his task; who has left the world better than he found it, whether by an improved poppy, a perfect poem, or a rescued soul; who has never lacked appreciation of earth’s beauty or failed to express it; who has always looked for the best in others and given them the best he had; whose life was an inspiration; whose memory a benediction."
(Bessie Smith apparently wrote it; but it is often attributed to Emerson because it was published alongside his own essay in a newpaper.)

The bench is raw cut limestone; its dimensions are heavy and organic, chunky modern & strong. On the front in the most simple font that explains how the bench is given to the neighborhood beloved by their father from his children. What a pretty little spot with azaleas and a dogwood.

Lorrie is like him, I'm sure, though I didn't know him. If I could ever have touched someone the way her father touched so many, that is what I hope to accomplish. It is enough to hear Lorrie talk about him and it is an honor to hear her mention him. I love that Lorrie could show it to me. I'm humbled by her offer to help with my dailysis in the future.

Pete spent an hour today fixing my television; Phil came to entertain us at lunch and offered to help me with all the things I keep whining about! He also listened endlessly and with actual interest to my silly ramblings. Doug came to check on me. Mom and Dad called to check in - they my most solid support in life.

Susan & Drew spent hours feeding and entertaining me...and again, listening. What a wonder it is that I have such friends. I have to say it again: it is so humbling.

Pete talked to me about EMDR therapy and spoke in brilliant lay terms for me. He's amazing at describing the usefulness, the physical act of the treatment, the brain function, the way you use dual attraction to focus and many theories about why it worked. Just the explanation and examples of "dual attention" - by using eye movement or tapping - anything to left and right and back again, while focusing on the cause of the anxiety was so simple and brilliant. I encouraged him to write for the average interested person, like Oliver Sachs, but he laughed. Anyhow, it's not the same, I'm sure, but the dual attention reminds me of the intense focus of meditation and prayer in the woods....You are in the quietest setting, relaxed and able to think about being present and acceptance.

ahhh i am blessed

No comments: