Thursday, September 18, 2008

Neprhologist office day

Last thursday I went in with the expectation of having blood drawn (for me and for UNOS transplant list). I also had asked Kim - Dr's R's nurse, to help me get home hemo education for home dialysis. Dr. R told me that she would do that 2 weeks ago. When I followed up, she seemed to understand and promised me she would get the 3 other things done. (this was 8 days before my visit)


The shot nurse was surly; she stomped out of the room when I told her (I didn't ask) that I would be pricking my own finger (my needle is sharper than theirs). She was surly when I asked her about the things Kim had promised a week before. She was surly when I told her I didn't think I would take the shot. because my hematacrit (sp?) was 11.6, I didn't feel any low oxygen or red blood cell symptons. I had discussed this w/the dr earlier in the year. She gave me the shot.

By the time she retrieved Kim at my request ("sorry, she's with a patient, you can call later." "i can wait, " i said) I was crying. How can I make a decision about which dialysis w/out the promised "education" and w/out the bloodwork?

I asked her to have Dr. R call me. She made some excuses and told me that I was just upset because I had to go on dialysis....I was, but I was also upset because she hadn't done 3 of the 4 things that I had asked for....twice.

Here is the kicker: Kim handed me a letter from the Procrit (EPO) people and said, "you've had the shot, right? Well, you are supposed to read this, but you'd better not read it today because you are so upset." Frustrated, I said, "Is this the warning about heart attack and sudden death that was all over the paper 6 months ago? That is why I had a meeting w/Dr. R about lowering my own criteria for this shot..."

Sure enough, the letter was dreadful with proven dire consequences for users of ProCrit.

It is enought to make you think: class action. uuuuugh. I need to read a little more Anne Lamott later today...

here is a quote from Ms Lamott, one of my favorites: "Laughter is carbonated holiness. It is chemo. So do whatever it takes to keep your sense of humor. Rent Christopher Guest movies, read books by Roz Chast and Maira Kalman....Reread everything Molly Ivins and Jim Hightower ever wrote. Write down that great line of Molly's, that "freedom fighters don't always win, but they're always right." Tape it next to your phone. Call the loneliest person you know. Go flirt with the oldest person at the bookstore. Fill up a box with really cool clothes that you haven't worn in a year, and take it to a thrift shop. Take gray water outside and water whatever is growing on your deck. This is not a bad metaphor to live by. I think it is why we are here. Drink more fluids. And take very gentle care of yourself and the people you most love."

She was talking about the state of affairs for the country and the election, but as usual, her words seem to apply to me today.

Many thanks to Kat for the beautiful Lamott essay, which led to another one and another...

No comments: