Wednesday, October 29, 2008

First Day of Real Dialysis

This morning, I'm anxious to take my first shower in six weeks - I cried a little wimpy whimper when I remembered this morning at 5am! I woke without the flu like symptoms that I have had every morning of the last week. Neither my stomach nor my legs hurt! I'm tired; I'm a little froggy (foggy) still - but I feel something like excitement at the new energy I'm going to have.

Yesterday was my first day of dialysis. After many many years of dread and self-imposed ignorance, I have learned about this daily procedure and faced the future. I can do it...I know it is not going to be easy (four times a day for the next six weeks...) but I can do it. (even as I write this, I am so emotional because I really am so tired)

They pulled EIGHT pounds of fluid off of me yesterday. My kidneys had reached the very end. My BP was so high for the last week; I was sleeping only one sweaty hour at a time. The GI tract symptoms covered every realm of misery. The itch has left me scarred on the back and stomach. And the leg cramps are exhausting!

The leg cramps started at 8pm sharp and continued until my little kiddy bath at 8 am. Talk about sharp. Poor John was often woken with a scream, not kidding, when the REMs were extra deep and the cramp was extra strong. (I began to try very hard not to wake Latte man up. I'm such a drama queen, even when I chanted over and over: do not make a noise for John...I prayed that I wouldn't wake him...I still moaned or cried out when struck during sleep)

Anyhow, yesterday, the IV bag was about to burst after draining from my periteneal cavity for 10 minutes. John said that my face went from Pumpkin looking to back to sagging - and beautiful. We all laughed, but the nurse said, yes, your face doesn't look swollen! So I was happy. ....EIGHT POUNDS...

The wait for the transplant continues. John and I thought I'd go to Vandy over the Halloween weekend. My nephrologist says that the call will come only after this week of training and I get the supplies delivered: "You will take the whole week off for training, rearrange your entire house for the supplies and then you will get the call from Vandy!" Well, TWENTY-SIX boxes of supplies are going to be delivered on Thursday. Hmmm

I've had some very nice calls and emails over the last 48 hours. I am again humbled by the prayers and help from others. One friend wrote this morning at the end of her email: "I"d love to spend time with you if you want some company during any of your trips. Just email or call -- I'm around all week and weekend and the weeks after and on and on too."

That last part got me.

And so it is with my family of friends. And my parents. The hours and hours of listening, especially from those brave enough to be "trapped" on a walk with me, are the greatest gifts to me. The sheer stamina of my friends throughout this past summer - it is amazing to me. The people that continue to call me and send little notes - it kills me. Thank you. You really make my life.

So I'm off to the shower. Pictures posted later!

No comments: