Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Getting Older

I told my friend, let's call him Rick, about my transplant and dialysis stuff. I love this guy; used to have a bible-study with him in my 20s, the kind of Bible study where sometimes the participants were half-drunk and always laughing quite a lot. We were so poor, there were challenges about how low we'd go for money at that time in our lives. So even though we didn't end up talking about the Bible (except for the first meeting), we at least discussed some great moral questions (was using a fake Krystal coupon a sin?)

So "Rick" says to me: "Now Kim, I know that this is nothing compared to what you are going through. Nothing! Getting old sucks. Yesterday I had my very first (and he paused, then lowered his voice) hemorrhoid surgery. I'm sitting here at the bank (and he whispered this with great emphasis) in a diaper!"

I'm sorry, but I just loved that he shared this. I laughed for two days. Especially when I think about what a snappy dresser he is and that bulky diaper.

No comments: