Monday, February 2, 2009

Another surgery

Last Thursday I had exploratory surgery to determine what was the cause of the slow dialysis drain.
This is a post summarizing what happened and why I am about to have the same surgery over again this Wednesday.

Without food and water for over 24 hours, I was naked with only a sheet and a crazy surgery hat on when the anesthesiologist i dated in college came over shaking his head. "I'm SO sorry to see this is you in here for surgery!" He had said the fist time I'd seen him, 13 weeks before when the catheter was originally placed.

The attending nurses had fluttered around him giggling and making eyes at me when they heard him say "We went to Dan Fogleberg concert togehter in college." Not looking my best, not that I need makeup or anything, ha, I managed to listen as he whispered to me the horrors of his recent divorce. This time I was ready for him. I think I've got a good woman to fix him up with AND I know the perfect house for him! I also saw another surgeon I know from high school and had a good ole time as they plugged me up to blood machines and stuck me for pre-surgery.

Anyhoo. They found that my fallopian tube had sucked into the catherter. Oh. That is what I've been feeling down there.

the Next 4 days were not fun. At first the dialysis came out in a brilliance of bloody speed! The blood looked scary but was supposedly normal. The speedy drain was how it was suppposed to be. We were elated.

Then dialysis almost stopped completely. the weekend was long. My nurse failed to meet me for 2 hours after what she told me. In the meantime I got my third (expensive) xray. While I was waiting for the nurse to finish her lunch at Mr Gatti's, I wrote a letter that included a list of all her infractions....the times she forgot to call my drugs into the pharmacy, the way she lost my bloodwork, the missed apts, the forgotten setup for xray...and guess what, When I got into see her, she dressed me down for 30 minutes. told me off like I was the most difficult person she ever had. I asked too many questions. I have too many doctor friends (thank God! Bruce & Howard & Utpal & Rosalie & Rebecca Bell have been invaluable and I cannot even express my gratitude). She yelled and I defended myself only.
\
Anyway. what a nightmare. John kept from dissolving into tears by diffusing the situation.
He offered a joke after the 20 minute lecture. Thank goodness for Latte.

The short story is repeat of surgery for the third time. Could have permanent catheter placement, could have to wait for use of this new catheter. And definitely back to no showers for 6 weeks after Wednesday's surgery. There is still possibility of emergency dialysis tomorrow, but it is going better tonight.

My BUN is critically high right now and everything depends on getting a transplant.

I have to go now, becuase luckily John and Phil will eat with me if i go now and they will make me laugh.

I'll be ok but I am frustrated! Thanks for reading all of my crazy posts. The best thing is that the book Kat gave me says that "Pain is inevitable; Suffering is optional." So far so good. I am loved. I get foot rubs from 2 friends. I get visits. Its a nice life.

No comments: